Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program is a federal program that provides a one-time payment to vendors on behalf of eligible households to assist with heating expenses.
How to Apply
Applications are normally accepted during December for households with at least one member age 60 and above or a disabled person receiving services through DAAS. If funds remain available, all other households typically are able to apply beginning in January during normal business hours at:
Stokes County Department of Social Services
1010 Main Street
Danbury, NC 27016
Eligibility requirements include:
- During the month of December, at least one household member must be age 60 and above OR a disabled person receiving services through the North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services. January and following, the program opens up to all households until funds run out or until March 31.
- Households must meet income/resource eligibility and must apply.
- Households must be responsible for its heating expense.
- Applicants must meet citizenship eligibility.
- There will NOT be automatic approvals.
- Energy payments will go directly to the service provider, which may include power, gas or oil companies, or wood providers.