Refugee public assistance involves refugee cash assistance and refugee medical assistance. Refugees are eligible for eight months after arrival in the country. These individuals enter the United States legally as a refugee pursuant to S3ection 207 of the Immigration & Naturalization Act. Eligibility criteria parallel the states Medicaid and welfare programs. Application for this assistance is made at the Department of Social Services.
The Services are Provided to:
- Expedite the resettlement process
- Quickly reduce dependence on public assistance
- Assist refugees to become employed
- Acquire English language skills
- Achieve self-sufficiency as quickly as possible
Refugees are eligible for these services for the first five years they are in the United States.